Lauren Wilcox Puchowski
53 Columbia Ave.
Jersey City, NJ 07307
laurenwilcox at hotmail.com
AB, Psychology May, 1995
Brown University, Providence, RI
MFA, Creative Writing May, 2001
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (Grinter Fellow)
Content strategist, writer, and editor, primarily for mission-driven nonprofits. Clients include Heifer International (2003 – present), The Child Center of NY (2013 – 2015), Center for Enamel Art (2014 – 2019), Wyndham Hotel Group (2013), Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University (1997 – 2000)
- Expert storyteller; experienced, empathic Work with staff and clients to collect impact stories and shape them for donor engagement and education.
- Develop compelling, consistent brand identity. Help define organization’s public identity and voice and maintain across platforms, including blogs and social media. Conceive and create content for website, newsletters, annual appeal, annual reports and brochures. Internal and external communications for CEO.
- Transform academic concepts and complex information into meaningful copy for lay audiences. Think-pieces and op-eds including for the Huffington Post blog and Motherlode, the parenting blog of the New York Times. Infographics for Heifer International.
- Strong editing skills.
Freelance writer for national and local magazines and weeklies.
- Cover stories, features, travel stories, profiles, and art and culture reviews.
- Anthologized in Da Capo Best Music Writing 2011 and The Oxford American Book of Great Music Writing.
- Staff editorial experience including at the Oxford American Magazine and World Ark, the magazine publication of Heifer International.
- Publications include Washington Post Magazine (2003 – 2012), Smithsonian Magazine, Oxford American, Men’s Journal, Arkansas Times, The Independent Weekly, Frame/Book/Magazine, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Little Rock Monthly.
New York Times parenting blog post, Sept 22, 2014
Essay in response to Adrian Peterson child abuse charges, ghost-written for Thomas Meyers, director at The Child Center of NY
2014 annual report for The Child Center of NY, $40M mental health nonprofit. Concept, creative and art direction and sole writer.
Wild by Nature, Shaped by Captivity essay about the modern zoo for the Washington Post Magazine, 2012
2019 Ground Floor Brooklyn, Holiday Show, Park Slope, Brooklyn, NYC
2019 Gallerie Hudson, three-person show, Jersey City, NJ
2019 “Off the Wall”, Friday Studio Gallery, The Bogart, Bushwick, NYC
2018 Governor’s Island Art Fair, Four Heads, Governor’s Island, NYC
2016 Color, BWAC, Red Hook, Brooklyn
2012 The Third Dimension, The Distillery, Jersey City, NJ
2011 Brooklyn-Heights, The Distillery, Jersey City, NJ
2010 Governor’s Island Art Fair, Four Heads, Governor’s Island, NYC
2008 Living Room, Flux Factory, Greenpoint, Brooklyn
2007 New York, New York, New York, Flux Factory, Queens, NY
Natural Machines, Historic Arkansas Museum, Little Rock, AR
2005 Oval Gallery, Little Rock, United States.
48th Delta Exhibition, Museum of Art, Little Rock, AR
2004 Exhibition in Print, Metalsmith Magazine.
Toys Designed by Artists, Purchase Award, Museum of Art, Little Rock, AR
47th Annual Delta Exhibition, Museum of Art, Little Rock, AR
2003 46th Annual Delta Exhibition, Museum of Art, Little Rock, AR